by Rich Faler
Cubby Boxes for footgripping traps solve many trapline problems. They are a valuable addition to many traplines. Here are some benefits:
• Wood cubbies automatically funnel the furbearer directly over the trap pan.
• The trap is protected from rain, snow and freezing rain – keeping traps operational for weeks in all types of weather.
• Bait and lure is similarly protected to yield the maximum furbearer-attracting odors.
• Footgrippers in the cubbies mean very little restriction when compared to bodygripper laws – no maximum box size allows a more attractive entry for the furbearer, normal footgripper sizes can be used, and there is no need to follow ambiguous “set in a watercourse” restrictions. Non-target catches can be safely released.
• Can be placed near any travelway without needing a travel funnel or location suited to a more conventional set.